FACULTY OF SCIENCE > Biochemistry
The Department of Biochemistry was established in 1963 in Lucknow University, however, the teaching in Biochemistry started in 1956 as part of M.Sc. (Biochemistry) course as one of the papers. The present building of the department was raised with the funds made available to the Department from Rockefeller foundation. The department was selected for Special Assistance Programme (DSA & SAP) in 1972 by the UGC later on UNDP and COSIST programmes were also awarded to the department. Presently, the Department is recipient of DST-FIST award. The Department is presently running two PG courses namely M.Sc. In Biochemistry (20 seats) and M.Sc. in Biotechnology (10 seats). The M.Sc. Biotechnology course is being financially supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. The department is also enrolling students for Ph.D. degree independently and in collaboration with CSIR laboratories situated in Lucknow. More than 175 students have been awarded Ph.D. degree and 435 research papers have been published in journals of International repute. The department has organized two national level seminars.
Thrust Areas :
Genetic manipulation of lignin, Membrane transport and signal transduction, Fruit ripening, Metabolic disorder of diseases and Angiospermic host parasite interrelationship.