FACULTY OF SCIENCE >
The Chemistry Department of Lucknow University came into existence in 1927. The first Head of the Department was Prof. P. S. McMahon, FNI who was also one of the founder members of the Indian Science Congress. The department has been lucky in having on its roll a distinguished staff, to name a few, Prof. S. H. Zaheer, Prof. G. S. Siddhu (who later rose to the chair of Director General, CSIR), Prof. A. C. Chatterjee, Prof. S. N. Shukla, Prof. M. P. Khare and many more.
This is the largest department of the science faculty with a strength of about 2500 Post Graduate and Under Graduate students, apart from about 85 research scholars. It imparts teaching both to the Biology as well as the Mathematics group students. It forms a subject combination with every subject in the science faculty.
Major thrust areas in which Research activities are being actively pursued:
- Chemistry of Natural Product
- Carbohydrate Chemistry
- Bio-organic Chemistry
- Application of multinuclear and two dimensional NMR Spectroscopy
- Synthetic Methodology using new reagents
- Microwave-assisted Organic Synthesis
- Green Chemistry
- Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Organo-metallic and Coordination Chemistry
- Synthesis and structural aspects of chemistry of Chromium, Molybdenum, Tellurium etc. in different oxidation states
- Ion transport mechanism in solids and liquids
- Synthetic and spectroscopic aspects of metallo-organic and organo-matallic compounds with biologically relevant N-heterocycles
- Designing and characterisation of Pd(II) and Pt(ll) complexes
- Bio-Inorganic Chemistry
- Kinetics and mechanism of catalyzed and uncatalysed ligand substitution reactions
- Adsorption of Sugars and Related Polyhydroxy Compounds onto various Surfaces.
- Dielectric & Solvolytic studies on chromophoric solutes in single, protic, aprotic, mixed solvents
- Ion-ion and ion-solvent interactions.
- Polymer Chemistry and Ion-exchange Studies